(wichita, ks, usa)
My counting sheep quilt was a first-time quilting project for me & was done with a sewing machine. Although, the embroidered sheep were hand embroidered.
I used a mix of vintage & new material - keeping in mind we knew the baby was a boy. I designed the layout on the computer first & was inspired by many "modern" quilts I'd seen in books & blogs. The sheep design is from a clover embroidery pattern I puchased at Hobby Lobby, I added the numbers.
I'm not sure exactly how long it took to complete the project...the design & cutting went quickly, the embroidery also didn't take very long.
However, when it came time to sew it all up I got nervous and let it sit for awhile all pinned up. I was afraid I'd mess it up at the sewing stage and that I'd have to start all over again! One day I sort of just decided to do it & it went really well, not perfect, but that wasn't what I was going for so in the end it was exactly what I'd hoped it would be. The mommy it was gifted to loved it & was completely surprised!