Camouflage Detour Diaper Bag
(Anchorage, Alaska, USA)
I used the free Detour Diaper Bag pattern from this site, altered a bit to meet my needs, and made a wonderful and extra functional diaper bag!
I've seen a lot of women on base carrying camouflage purses and bags around, and I thought that it was a pretty neat idea, but didn't really understand why any military wife would pay tons of money for these things, considering I'm pretty sure we all have old uniforms lying around! This idea, along with our very low budget, led me to use some of my husband's old ABUs (military uniform), and other scrap material I had, to make my diaper bag. An extra bonus was that this bag was completely free for me to make!
1. Because I was using the uniform, and didn't want to waste all the pockets already assembled on it (or the nameplate, etc, that I wanted for decorative purposes), I made the original "Main Bag Body" pattern piece my front pocket piece instead. I then made a separate pattern piece from the original main bag body piece by tracing it onto paper and drawing a straight line across the top instead of an angled.
I also did not sew any seam down the center of my front pocket, deciding to instead just bring the closure strap all the way down to help keep it from falling open. I like using the front pocket for changing pads and larger things, so I wanted to keep that option.
I really wanted sides to the diaper bag, with side pockets, so I traced out my own sides, and made the bag bottom with squared ends instead of rounded. I also added some elastic to the side pieces to help keep it from hanging wide open when empty.
3. I didn't use a magnetic closure. Instead, I used a button strap taken from the uniform for the closure tab.
4. Because of all the alterations to the pattern, I could only follow certain directions. One thing that was probably easier was sewing the entire bag together. While I had to do a lot more sewing, I didn't have to sew so many layers together. Instead of sewing the front and back pieces together all at once, I had the side pieces in between. In the end, there were only a few places where fabric didn't meet up right, but I fixed these easily by reinforcing.
I'm no pro at sewing projects, but this wasn't my first time behind a sewing machine, so I only encountered a few setbacks. The most difficult part was altering the pattern and not being able to use the exact instructions. Also, because I was repurposing my husband's old ABUs, I also had to be really creative while placing the pattern pieces, and find ways to really utilize everything well.
Overall, it was a great pattern and great instructions! I am so happy with my new diaper bag!
Check out my Flickr album to see all my photos!